The Agricultural Research Council-Animal Production Institute (ARC-API) seeks to appoint experienced and dynamic persons to the following positions: Internships X38: Kaonafatso ya Dikgomo – Beef Recording and Improvement Scheme positions (to be placed in all 9 provinces) (1-year contract)
The Agricultural Research Council (ARC) is a premier science institution that conducts research with partners, develops human capital and foster innovation in support of the agricultural sector.
It provides diagnostic, laboratory, analytical, agricultural engineering services, postharvest technology development, agrochemical evaluation, consultation and advisory services, food processing technology services as well as various surveys and training interventions.
Through its wider network of research institutes and experimental farms, the ARC provides a strong scientific base and a broadly distributed technology transfer capacity to the entire agricultural industry in South Africa.
Key Performance Areas:
• Provide animal recording and improvement services to smallholder farmers.
• Participate in the training and recruitment of farmers and teams in Kaonafatso ya Dikgomo Beef Recording and Improvement Scheme.
• Visit farmers for beef recording and improvement purposes.
• Train new participants in different phases of beef schemes.
• Participate in focus sessions/meetings with farmers’ teams/individuals
• Collect information from all – possible sources to compile a database of current herd statistics and performance of livestock owned by resourced poor farmers to derive performance indicators.
• Participate in the provincial farmer support team to implement the project.
• Compile monthly reports.
• A National Diploma in Animal Production.
• Motivated and prepared to travel to farms and villages.
• Good human relations.
• Good communication skills (written and verbal).