Home » Matric Updates

Category Archives: Matric Updates

Things to Do With Your Matric Results [Pass or Fail]

After receiving your matric results, you might get confused on what to do next. Whether it’s a pass or fail, there is something you can do with your matric results.
How your matric pass can shape your future 
The type of pass level you obtained at the end of matric determines whether you will study at a university, university of technology or TVET college.

If you passed with a Higher Certificate Pass, you can attend any of the following tertiary institutions after you complete Grade 12:

  • A bridging course at an TVET college.
  • Trade schools like beauty schools, chef schools or IT colleges.
  • In-house training in various industries.

You can also apply for manual or administrative positions at various companies.

If you passed with a Diploma Pass, you can enrol for:

  • Bridging courses at TVET colleges.
  • Diploma courses at various universities, and universities of technology.

Since universities of technology focus on practical learning, you’ll usually find that a diploma is shorter than a university degree, but includes a much larger practical component.

1.Study at University

If you passed with a Bachelor’s Pass, you can study at any tertiary institution in South Africa, as long as you have met the requirements for your chosen field of study.

When you have an idea about what you want to study, do a little research about the job security, demand, and work availability in that field so that you can make an informed decision about your future. You can get assisted by EduCourses for free to find the right course to study.
2. Apply for Bursaries to fund your studies
Various tertiary institutions offer bursaries (with varying opening and closing dates) that will help you further your studies. You can find some more information here. However, be sure to contact them directly for other alternatives as well.

3. Apply for Learnerships and Begin Training While Earning Income

A learnership programme could be a good start for you if you did not manage to get a bursary. A learnership is a programme where people with just grade 12 can be offered some training for a certain period but also getting an income at the same time.

After completing your learnership programme, you are supposed to get a certificate indicating the unit standards you have completed. With this certificate, you can use to apply for a job or use it to complement your other academic results to gain access to tertiary training. To find recent learnerships click here or use the search button to find positions available posted on this website.

Source: Westerncape.gov.za

Help a friend, SHARE THIS

Subscribe to Get Matric Results Notifications When Released

To make sure you know when your results are available, AfterMatric.co.za will let you know via email as soon as the results are out.

All you have to do is sign up.

Minister Motshekga will release the examination results on the evening of 4 January 2018.

Candidates will be able to access their results from Friday 5 January 2018 through the DBE website and through the various media outlets through which the results will be made available.

For you to get updates via email every time we update this website, you just have to subscribe free. Enter your email on the box below and tap/click subscribe, them check your email inbox for instructions to verify your free subscription.

This subscription if free and we will send you updates via email.
Subscribe to Learnerships and Bursaries in South Africa [AfterMatric.co.za] by Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Help a friend, SHARE THIS

How to Get 2017 Matric Results in 2018

Be the first one to access your matric results in January 2018. Look out for places to get your matric results.

Here are Four Ways to Check Your Matric Results

1. Online

Bear in mind that website traffic will be high on the release date, so expect delayed response times.

  • Log on to the Department of Basic Education’s website here.

You will need the following to log in:

  • Exam number (don’t misplace this during the holiday!)
  • Home Language
  • Your personal details (name, surname, etc.)

If you attended a public/government school, then your results will definitely be available on this site.

2. The Newspaper

Your results will be published in the Newspaper on the day of the results release. It will be in all of the big Newspaper brands, like The RapportThe Argus and The Star.

Remember it will not be your full results. It will just state whether or not you passed and with what symbol you passed – B for Bachelors PassD for Diploma, etc.

3. Your High School

A day after the initial results are released, your school will give you your results. This is not the official matric certificate, it’s just your results for each subject. You will be able to fetch your official matric certificate in a few months – once it has been printed in full. If you are eager to get exact dates you should contact your school to find out further information.

4. Your Cellphone

You can use your cellphone (or someone else’s) to receive your results. SABC Education and the Department of Basic Education have provided a service that allows you to get an SMS with your results.  Yep, it’s pretty awesome!  You can register and have your results sent to you as soon as they are released.  How?

You have two options:

  • Register via SMS
    • Send your ID number and exam number to 35658
    • You’ll get a confirmation SMS once you’ve successfully registered.
    • SMSes cost R1 and free SMSes don’t apply
    • Get your results immediately when they are released
  • Use the USSD service
    • Dial *120*35658# on the release date
    • Answer a few multiple questions
    • Enter your ID number
    • You will get your results per subject
    • USSD rates apply

What to do if you have failed Matric

The first step that you need to take is to determine why you failed your exams. Think about it and be extremely honest with yourself. Ask yourself the following questions:

  • Did I go out on the town or sit around watching TV when I should have been studying?
  • Did I think I was too cool  to study and now I regret it?
  • Did I study hard enough?
  • Did I participate in class throughout the year or did I try to make up everything at the end of the year?
  • Did I think it was going to be easy and I didn’t put the effort in?
  • Did I become frustrated and give up?
  • Was I too sick to write my exams or was there a personal crisis in my life that prevented me from finishing?

How to get courses to study

EduCourses can assist you to get courses to study in 2018 from various institution. This service is provided free by EduCourses.

Please register yourself to get assisted by EduCourses here.

You can also register for short skills courses at The Shaw Academy. These courses are offered online and most of them last for about a month. The free short courses can help you to get new skills and can help you discover new business ventures.

You can register at the Shaw Academy here.



Help a friend, SHARE THIS

The Youngest BSc Student at University of Pretoria is Just 14 Years Old

14-year-old Hjalmar Rall‚ who starts studying for his bachelor’s degree‚ only has thoughts of science.

The boy from Riebeek Kasteel in the Western Cape will be studying towards a BSc Physics degree at the University of Pretoria (UP)‚ which he believes is the “best there is”.

Hjalmar is excited to start his new journey and cannot wait to be among his new study mates.

“I want to ask even bigger questions and find out what else there is to do‚ particularly in theoretical physics and astrophysics‚” he said.


The teenager‚ who was home-schooled by his father‚ Heinrich‚ started the high school curriculum three years early and was elated to pass his A-levels — the UK equivalent of matric — last year. Quoting a character from Alice in Wonderland he said it was an “oh frubjous day‚ caloo‚ calay”.


He told TMG Digital his curiosity had always been piqued by the world of science. “Our family discussed the universe at home since I can remember. I was fortunate in that I grew up in a place where we could see the stars at night. A BSc will help me answer all the questions that were raised by staring into space.”


Hjalmar said that he was overwhelmed by his strong academic performance but was also excited at the prospect of moving to Pretoria with his family. When he is not hitting the books‚ Hjalmar enjoys drawing‚ photography‚ writing haikus and trawling the internet just like any other teen. “I have a passion for researching useless information‚” he added.

This whiz-kid’s mantra in life is to always enjoy what you are doing for it to not be a chore. “As long as it’s not boring‚ I do it‚” said Hjalmar.


Source: TMG Digital

Help a friend, SHARE THIS

How to Combine Subjects or Credits to Get a Matric Certificate Read more

Applying for Replacement certificate: Change of status
If you wrote matric in more than one examination sitting and you want to combine your credits to qualify for a National Certificate, i.e. Senior Certificate (SC) or National Senior Certificate (NSC), you must apply for Replacement certificate: change of status. The department does not automatically combine your credits, unless you wrote a supplementary examination.
You can apply for confirmation statement of results while waiting for the National Certificate.

What should you do?

Pay the prescribed fee by postal order at the Post Office, cash at DBE/PED office or by cheque.
Go to the nearest DBE/PED offices with the following documents:
Your results from all examination sittings
The original identity document (ID) and a certified copy.
The proof of payment
Alternatively you can download form, Replacement Certificate: Change of Status, fill it in and post it with the attached documents including the postal order to: Private Bag X895, Pretoria, 0001
How long does it take?
It takes four to six weeks for Replacement certificate: change of status. The combination statement of results is obtainable immediately.

How much does it cost?

It will cost you R80.00 for the Replacement certificate, and if you want a statement of results, it will cost you an additional R34.00. These fees are valid from 01 April 2015 until 31 March 2016.

Form to complete
Replacement Certificate: Change of Status

Who to Contact

National office:
012 357 4511/13
Eastern Cape:
043 604 7709/73
Free State:
051 404 8000
011 355 0588
KwaZulu-Natal: 031 327 0538/0331
015 290 7747/7830
Northern Cape:
053 839 6585
North West:
018 384 3100/51
Western Cape:
021 467 2483
013 766 0033



Help a friend, SHARE THIS