This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of thedesignated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 01.03.2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet Freight Rail
Position Title : Trainee Train Assistant
Employee Group : Trainee
Department : Train Crew Mng
Location : Kroonstad
Reporting To : Section Manager: Train Traffic
Grade Level : SSTFT
Reference Number : 50013769
Position Purpose :
A Trainee Train Assistant will be required to undergo modular training, conduct and successfully complete the required
modules in Train Assistant – Initial Course and practical training as to be qualified and certified as a Train Assistant
Position outputs :
- Attend and successfully Complete a theoretical Training Program within the required time frame
- Develop competency via formal learning as to perform within a operational environment and operate equipment as assigned
- Safely and efficiently accomplish work assignments and goals that are in line with the Training Program, company’s
- Maintain comprehensive records (portfolio of evidence) of all theoretical and practical training experience for use in
- Execute Trainee Train assistant duties as prescribed by TFR
strategies and vision.progressing
Qualifications & Experience :
- Grade 12 with Mathematics
- Must successfully complete and pass a theoretical as well as practical training as a Trainee Train Assistant
- At least 1.6 meters tall
- Physically fit
- Physically able to lift and carry heavy objects (be prepared to be subjected to assessment of physical abilities)
- Must be physically fit, alert and have excellent eyesight and good hearing
- Depth perception
- Good mechanical skills and an aptitude for handling heavy machinery
- Train Assistant Initial Course.
- Geography of the section of responsibility.
- Shunting procedures
- Train service
- Act 85
- Vocational knowledge.
- High voltage safety instructions
- General and local appendix and directives
- Hazardous materials
- Radio train order system.
- Stress handling
- Problem solving
- Hazmat risk handling
- Interpersonal effectiveness.
- Report writing
- Data capturing
- Conflict handling
- Attention to detail
- Hazard conscious
- Results orientated.
- Willing to work independently
- Safety orientation
NB. The candidate must meet the minimum inherent health requirements of the job.
NB. Please take note it will be the best to apply on-line on the Transnet Career page: www.transnet.net/Career. No e-mailed
applications will be accepted.