Join the Makro Cadetship programme
About the programme
The Makro Cadetship Programme started in 2003, the aim being to actively attract and develop young talented leaders for the business.
Through the programme we offer participants the opportunity to acquire a B Com Degree through one of South Africa’s leading distance learning institutions whilst gaining essential workplace experience*.
* The degree may change depending on business needs and availability.
Programme format & learner support
Throughout the duration of the programme participants are based at various stores where the programme is offered. The programme starts annually in mid-March.
- The duration of the programme is four years.
- Whilst on the programme participants work full time and study part time towards their degree.
- Participants receive intensive work based training which allows them to be introduced and familiarised with our business operations, environment and culture.
- Participants are provided with a strong support system which includes coaches and mentors to guide and support them through the programme.
- Upon successful completion of the programme, candidates are placed in suitable positions.
Makro is committed to achievement of equity in the workplace through the development of suitably qualified young talent.
The Cadetship Program, for the 2017 intake will be offered in: Gauteng, Western Cape, PE, Bloemfontein and Pietermaritzburg.
- Completed Grade 12/ Matriculated.
- South African citizen
- 23 years or younger in the year that the programme starts.
- No criminal record
- Eligible to study towards a B Com Degree
- University admission
Additional Selection Criteria *
- Pass matric with admission to Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum Achievement Levels:
- English: 4 (50 – 59%)
- Mathematics: 5 (60 – 69%) or
- Mathematical Literacy: 7 (80 – 89%)
How to Apply
To apply submit your application form/CV together with certified copies of:
- Barcoded South African ID
- Matric Certificate , or
- Statement of results.
NB: Ensure that the following information is provided:
- Alternative contact number and email address
- The name of the Makro store closest to you.
CV’S should be submitted to
For more information or enquiries, please contact the Programme Coordinator on the email address above.
Applications run annually from
1 September to 31st January
Application terms and conditions:
- Please note that late applications will not be considered.
- Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.