The Russian Government is offering scholarships for South African students to study at Russian institutions from the academic year 2017/18.
Most programmes are instructed in the Russian language and applicants with no command of Russian are required to take the college preparatory courses for one year before pursuing major studies.
Only after passing the examinations of the college preparatory course can they start their degree studies.
The scholarship may be awarded for undergraduate (Bachelors) or postgraduate (Masters or PhD) studies.
Preference is given to postgraduate applications.
Who can apply?
– South African citizens in good health with a strong academic record.
– Available to study in Russia from September 2017
– Demonstrated interest in Russia and commitment to the development of South Africa.
– Applicants must have a minimum average of 60%
– All students must meet the minimum academic requirements for entry into a similar programme at a South African university.Fields of study for South African applicants
Applications from all qualified candidates in any field will be accepted, but priority will be given to applications for postgraduate studies, previously disadvantaged applicants and applicants in the following fields:
– Climate change
– Economics and management
– Engineering sciences
– Maritime studies
– Natural and physical sciences
– Nuclear and renewable energy
– Space science and technology
Applicants are required to do their own research into available programmes, institutions and programme-specific entrance criteria.
The final decision on admittance to institutions is made by the Russian institution and the Russian Government.
Scholarships may therefore be awarded to study at institutions outside of an individual’s preference.
What the scholarship offers
The Russian Government provides the following:
– Basic monthly allowance
The South African Government provides the following (subject to the availability of funds):
– One return economy airfare
– Monthly living allowance
– Annual medical insurance
Successful scholarship applicants will be required to sign a contract and return to South Africa upon completion of studies.
DEADLINE: 1 APRIL 2017