Are you between the ages of 18 and 35 and have a passion to want to connect people? Is being a Train Assistant a dream of yours? There are a few things you need to know about becoming a Train Assistant. Becoming a Train Assistant is cool but a vigorous profession and career
Trainee Train Assistant Internship – Transnet
A Train Assistant job is to assist the Train Driver in the movement of the train and to convey information to the client centre and route to enhance the safe, fast movement of commodities. Training to become a Train Assistant is hard and requires physically ability to lift and carry objects.
A Trainee Train Assistant will be required to undergo modular training, conduct and successfully complete the required modules in Train Assistant –Initial Course and practical training as to be qualified and certified as a Train Assistant.
- Grade 12 with Mathematics
- At least 1.6 metres tall
- Visual acuity
- Physically able to lift and carry objects (be prepared to be subjected to assessment of physical abilities)
- Possess the following skills:
- Psycho Motor
- Depth perception
- Communication (reading, written and verbal)
- Safety conscious
- Environmental awareness
- Prepared to work overtime
- Prepared to work shifts
- Check and supplement prescribed equipment i.e. pantograph hook stick (± 5kg), jumper cables (± 10kg), etc.
- Coupled locomotive (multiple set) through air and vacuum hoses, jumper cable and ensure correct functioning of automatic coupler between locomotives
- Dispatch locomotives, operating hand operated points
- Attached and/or detach vehicles according to works order in absence of yard personnel (Equivalent of 45kg)
- Mount telemeters (where necessary) i.e. mount (front unit = 5.17kg) (rear unit = 8.06kg)
- Remove and carry train indicators to last vehicle and mount (side and rear indicators) (± 10kg), required to board vehicle to effect proper mounting
- Examining of train as prescribed assistance and route
- Verbal exchange of signal positions
- Observe proceeding trains
- Patrol locomotives (walking through corridors of electric locomotives using extended foot plate and hand rails at speeds up to 40km/h; walking on running board of diesel locomotives and stepping over to another locomotive at speeds up to 40km/h; manual operating of circuit breakers while locomotive is in motion)
- Protect train during incidents, accidents, etc.
- Be prepared to walk relatively long distances to check train loads (day and night)
- Determine status of train, placing and securing detonators on rail, displaying hand signals day and night, walking on uneven ground, ability to withstand natural elements
- Assistant to Train Driver during emergencies (in event of Driver failure to bring train to standstill; walking long distances to report positions, and requirements)
- Attach/detach trucks as per works-order (manual application of equipment; standing of vehicle walking alongside moving vehicles)
- Obtain radios/handsets/two way communication radios/telemeters when applicable (carrying of communication equipment and place on footplate or mount on vehicle) Prepared communication equipment
- Obtain radios/handsets/two way communication radios/telemeters when applicable (carrying of communication equipment and place on footplate or mount on vehicle) Shunting movements Stable train/locomotive
- Assist the Train Driver by applying hand brake
- Secure as prescribed (applying hand brakes and placing on scotch blocks in front wheels)
- Store tools and equipment (remove kit-box from locomotive and store away)
On completion of the programme you will be a Qualified Train Assistant,
How to Apply
You may fax your application to 0117730778
The closing date is on 03.04.2018. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to GRACE.FELBROOK@TRANSNET.NET.