This focus stream is being offered to students in the Northern and Eastern Cape, wishing to pursue degrees or certificates in education, agriculture or nursing.
The Globeleq Scholarship Fund
Globeleq South Africa is a wholly owned subsidiary company of Globeleq, an experienced international operating power company, and power industry leader in the emerging markets. Established in 2002, Globeleq actively develops energy projects in Africa by developing the electric power sectors in these regions.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
The Globeleq Scholarship Fund (GSF) was launched in 2014. It is managed by Globeleq South Africa Management Services (GSAMS) and is funded by GSAMS’ independent power producers (IPPs) and one of its shareholders, the Globeleq Educational Trust (GET). To date, approximately R10.3 million has been awarded in bursaries.
THE GSF AIMS TO:
- help meet the demand in the renewable energy (RE) industry for technical skills,
- create a skills pipeline for our company and the industry, and
- support and contribute to the long-term sustainability of the communities in which we operate, and the country as a whole.
The Scholarship includes a service obligation, on behalf of the student, of 12 months. Scholarship recipients undergo a further selection process for the Internship. Internships are not guaranteed for each scholarship recipient.
The Internship includes an in-depth induction of the entire organisation (exposure to the solar PV and wind plants), technical training, in-house training and exposure to head office organisational functioning. Salaries are paid in line with market rates.
The GSF Communities
The GSF Communities is open to students who:
- Are South African citizens
- Currently resides within a 50km radius of either Jeffreys Bay Wind Farm, De Aar Solar Power, Droogfontein Solar Power, Klipheuwel Wind Farm, Aries Solar Power, Konkoonsies Solar Power or Soutpan Solar Power
- Are registering to study a degree or certificate at a South African higher education institution in 2020
- Will be doing their 1st year or higher in 2020
The amount of the Scholarship is not fixed, but instead takes each student’s needs into account, together with the Scholarship budget.
The scholarship covers a variable amount, depending on what each student’s registration fees are, for the following:
- Course Fees
- Registration Fees
and a fixed amount, based on the average cost across all institutions participating in the GSF and the type of studies, for the following:
- Accommodation and meal costs
- Books and other learning materials
- Living expenses
How to apply
Application form and information can be found at www.globeleqscholarship.excelatuni.com. Please ensure that you complete this form as thoroughly as possible, as it is our only way of assessing your potential at this stage. Note that only online applications will be considered.
Complete your online application by Saturday 30 November 2019, including uploading all the necessary supporting documents. Late applications will not be considered.
A one-page statement clearly setting out why you have chosen your field of study and how you intend to use it after graduation.
One letter of recommendation from an individual who can speak to your personal character and/or your academic performance. This person should not be a relative or friend.
- Please include their telephone details.
- A certified copy of your barcoded ID.
- A Copy of your CV.
- Proof of your family’s monthly income. (e.g. salary slips or if unemployed, an affidavit to support this)
- All high school applicants must attach a certified copy of their grade 11 reports and matric reports to date. If applicable, please provide proof of provisional university acceptance.
- All tertiary students must submit certified copies of their matric results and their most recent official transcript.
- Proof of registration for students currently enrolled at a tertiary institution
If you meet the first stage of selection criteria, you will be invited to participate in a telephonic interview, to take place during December 2019. In person interviews will be scheduled for January 2020 for those applicants at final award consideration stage.
A final selection will be made, and all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application, by March 2020.
Closing Date: Saturday, November 30, 2019