MasakhiSizwe Bursary Programme
The name MasakhiSizwe comes from the Nguni tribe meaning Lets Build the Nation and aims to develop the nation through education and training.
The Department of Transport and Public Works established the MasakhiSizwe Bursary Programme in 2006.
It partnered with Higher Education Institutions (HEI), Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and the relevant professional bodies to develop professionals in engineering and the built environment fields by offering bursaries to study towards a degree or higher diploma in the following disciplines:
- Property studies
- Transport economics
- Transportation engineering
- Electrical and/or electronic engineering
- Civil engineering
- Construction management
- Mechanical engineering
- Quantity surveying
- Town/City and regional planning
- Architecture, etc
Where can the bursaries be taken up?
- University of Cape Town.
- Stellenbosch University.
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
Who can apply for a bursary?
To apply for one of these bursaries you must be:
- A South African citizen.
- Be accepted at the relevant tertiary institution.
- We will give preference to financially disadvantaged female learners from rural areas of South Africa.
The MasakhiSizwe Bursary Programme:
- Prioritises financially disadvantaged learners when awarding bursaries, especially women and learners from rural communities .
- Provides support services programmes.
- Secures learning opportunities for MasakhiSizwe bursars (i.e. interns).
- Secures employment opportunities for graduates.
Closing Date: 30 September Annually